Sunday, January 27, 2019

Back to Work

As it turns out, I don't have dengue fever or any of the other nasty tropical diseases. I am fine now, save for a sore throat, which I think is more an allergy than a cold. Now, I have to get on with the business of why I decided to come here for three months.
Tomorrow, I resume work on my PhD. I won't bore you with the details but the decision to come to India for three months rather than one or two was the result of gut instinct rather than planning. It was the amount of time I felt I needed for my research interviews. I haven't done any planning for my interviews, and neither is it clear to me that interviews will be useful for my research. I just felt my research needed interviews, and I wouldn't be satisfied unless I had at least attempted them.
Going with my gut instinct, feeling around in the dark for the right approach, makes me feel like a bonafide researcher. If the research approach is clear, what is the need for research? Most research projects are a leap of faith, and some leaps are more ambitious than others. I will try to remember this when I flounder in my own project.

No comments: