Friday, January 18, 2019

One Year of Blogging

I missed the one-year anniversary of the revival of my blog, which fell on the 16th of January. Since I am sucker for such anniversaries, I thought it is fitting that I reflect on my year of regular blogging. A couple of things stand out. In the beginning, I had envisaged a strict separation between therapeutic writing and blogging. Over time, I notice I have become more willing to write about stuff that I would have earlier considered too personal. While I am still mindful that anyone could read this blog and avoid writing about specific people, writing is about baring a part of yourself. That is the price to pay if you want your reader's attention. Unless you can come up with brilliant intellectual insights or humour every time you sit down to write, which most of us can't. One gradually becomes more comfortable with baring more. The "baring" could be in the form of details about your life or about how you think, and it is difficult to say which is more revealing.
Another reflection is that I have managed to stay away from meta blogs, or blogs about blogging, for the most part. I  am quite pleased about this. As if we bloggers are not self-involved enough! The only thing worse than navel gazing is navel-navel gazing.
More importantly, blogging has become a firm habit, just like yoga. Earlier, I would keep an eye on the blog view score, but I don't anymore. If I don't blog for more than a day in a row I start to feel restless. Maybe I am addicted, but there are worse addictions to have. All I know is blogging has been a great source of stability through an exciting but difficult period of my life, and I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

No comments: