Thursday, January 17, 2019

Home Again

I have been home for almost a day now, and, to be frank, I feel a little discombobulated. Its not helping that the jet lag is operating in reverse. Instead of waking up late, I got up around 3:15 am today. It is also hotter than usual for January, or maybe my perception of the heat here has changed after being in England for a year. We live near a busy traffic junction, so the air is naturally rich in mineral content, but it feels like we are having to endure a smog without the accompanying benefit of cooler weather. Maybe the smog will just be worse if/when it gets colder, so I should just gird myself.
In a nutshell, I am not feeling very relaxed even though I am seeing my parents after a year and I have plenty to look forward to, such as a family holiday in my favourite  hill station. Maybe it is the stress of the past year that is finally catching up, maybe it is nervousness about the research I am supposed to carry out here. I will be the first to admit that I am not a big fan of the location of  our house, and would welcome it if my parents decide to move to a less crowded and polluted location. 
Maybe I should just give myself time to adjust to the heat and the dust and the crowds. Once I get going with my  research, these things will seem like minor quibbles. But, I suppose, the measure of whether you like a place is how or little you enjoy being there when you are taking a break from work. When you are wrapped up in work, the place almost becomes incidental, unless it subjects you to major inconveniences and interruptions. On the other hand, I haven't take down time well for the past year or so, so I am not sure what's going on.

No comments: