Many of the people I count as close friends are those I hit it off with instantly. But not all. One of them I could barely stand, until friendship blossomed on a fateful paragliding trip. With others, friendship kept up on us slowly, and before we knew it, we were friends. Of course, people who annoy you at the beginning are more likely to become your friends than people who bore you (and I don't mean annoy you by boring you). Annoyance is an active emotion whereas boredom is a passive one. People who both bore you and annoy you by being insulting, even if unknowingly, are a writeoff. But people whom you find prickly have potential because they at least pique your interest. They remain in your thoughts even if after you have left their company. Which is why they might still end up becoming your friend. People with strong personalities can often get off on the wrong foot at the beginning. Dry senses of your humour can chaff at each other time, and sometimes, before you know it, your matching wits in a "Who is funnier?" competition.
Today's post makes me sound like a Tiger who is at the top of the social food chain. I am not popular and I don't have a personality that gravitates people towards me. But I am picky about close friends, even if that means I don't have many people to hang out with.
Today's post makes me sound like a Tiger who is at the top of the social food chain. I am not popular and I don't have a personality that gravitates people towards me. But I am picky about close friends, even if that means I don't have many people to hang out with.
No comments:
Post a Comment