My first proper hike since 2017. It was with a group called The Ramblers, which is apparently a very old and well-established organisation with radical-left working-class origins. I and a guy who sounded Eastern European, and had rocked up with nothing but a bottle of coca cola tucked into his back pocket, were the only foreigners. I was also the youngest person by a large margin, but I didn't feel out of place at all. I have always felt like an old soul and I got along well with everyone. On my meet-up walks with the international group, I always feel like I have to initiate conversation, and I assumed that is because I have a slightly cold manner. To be sure, I have met some interesting people through the international group, and I count one as a friend and a few others as more than acquaintances, but not quite friends. But, with most others, the conversation drags because the only thing we have in common is the fact we are both foreigners. And, since the walks are so relaxed, socializing is a big part of them. But, today was about serious hiking. We set off at a brisk pace, stops were pre-decided and timed, and although it was like an army march, there was no mucking about. It felt good to be around people who are passionate about being in the hills/mountains. Also, I don't remember being bored even once. There were some very experienced hikers and I got some good tips for my upcoming Nepal trek. All in all, a very good day.
Sunday, April 30, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment