This was last evening, but I was too tired to write about it yesterday. In a post I had written more than four years ago, I had talked about why I avoided pub socials, and this meet-up reminded me that I was write. In pub socials, you are stick with the people you are seated beside. If they bore you, excusing yourself and inserting yourself into another conversation takes a level of tact and effort that I struggle to muster,. So, I just sat there with my beer, waiting till it wouldn't feel to weird or rude to leave. Finding intelligent people who share your interests is not easy, and you are unlikely to find them in a random group of strangers. Similar sense of humour, life experiences, interests, you need something to keep the conversation going. Which is why I so miss the book club, even though I was the only bloke there for most of the meetings. But, one lives and learns. I now live in a house that I don't feel the need to escape from, so I can afford to be more selective in my choice of engagements.
Friday, April 21, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment