This is not an academic blog and I don't want to start an academic discussion here. But, today, in our online discussion group, it was me against a group of Marxists. The discussion was very amicable, but it reminded me about less amicable discussions with my parents, who are ardent Marxists. The biggest barrier to debating Marxists is the terminology. Fictitious capital, valorisation, exploitation, etc. And, this may seem harsh, but many Marxists don't use precise definitions. They have a gut-level instinctive attraction for Marxist ideas, which is fine. We are often attracted to ideas, without being able to articulate our understanding of them. But, then, it is difficult to convince people who don't share that gut-level instinctual fascination. Its not a school of thought, but a lens that demands a lot from the wearer. There are no reluctant or wavering Marxists. Your are either a staunch one or you are not a Marxist. Also, I find many Marxist concepts are so loosely defined that its possible to fit almost any reality. For instance, almost anything can be termed as a contradiction of capitalism. In today's world, its not difficult to spot "over-accumulation", etc. and Marxists love to say, "I told you so" after a crisis, even thought most Marxists explanations of crises have barely changed since Marx's times. I realise I may be a bit unfair here and may not have read enough Marx or Marxists.
Friday, April 28, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment