Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Last Day of Teaching

 Today was the last day of teaching for this academic year. There is no question that this academic year was far more easy going than the previous one. No new job, homesickness, Covid scares, actually catching Covid, and tearing my hair out about my stalled PhD. But, I also felt spectacularly unmotivated. I was teaching the same courses as last year, but felt like I was less prepared than last year, when the material was knew to me and I had to exert myself a bit to familiarize myself with it. Yes, I am forced to teach mainstream economics, yes its been a tough few years for everyone, yes, the world is going to hell in a hand-basket, yes, I need to be kind to myself. But, surely, one can lead a meaningful life in the given circumstances. A life that does not entail constantly invoking self-kindness to survive. I want to regain my love and interest in economics but I don't know how to. Maybe the mountains of Nepal will provide some answers. 

No comments: