Thursday, May 11, 2023

Off to Nepal Tomorrow

 I am off to Nepal tomorrow. It was supposed to be a trip for contemplation and meditation. While there are no major crises in my life there are several things I want to change or learn to cope better with. I see myself as a thinker (as pompous as it sounds) rather than a seeker, but I find myself coming up frequently against the limits of thinking and intellectualizing. If I could find a spiritual path that would help me cope better with life, it would be great. Maybe someone as skeptical and cynical as me can never find a spiritual path, but I want to keep an open mind. But, the course in Buddhist teaching and meditation that we originally planned to go to Nepal for has been cancelled. So, I promptly turned this trip into a trekking holiday. I don't plan to take my laptop along so this will be a strictly no-work trip, unlike any trip I have taken in several years. All my last few trips, even to see my aunt in Brighton, were work-cum-leisure trips, even if I felt eminently unproductive during those trips. Either it was PhD work or grading or both. I still have to finish my PhD corrections and there is still lots more grading to do, but that can wait for two weeks. I don't expect any solutions from the mountains to the problems of my life. I just want to not seek solutions for my life problems for two weeks. Just a breather--nothing more, nothing less. 

No comments: