Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Setting Mental Boundaries

 I am going to try not to turn this into another rant about teaching. But its difficult to do that in grading season, especially if you are trying to speed up grading. On this particular course, the problem is not that I am teaching mainstream economics. Its that I am not sure what I am teaching. The course material is  a hotch-potch, and even I can't make sense of the assignment, so I feel sorry for the students. I was teaching on the same course last year, and tried to hash it out with the unit leader. So, this year, I didn't even bother trying. I don't know what she expects, so its no surprise that I am having trouble marking. And, I don't think I have ever read so much crappy economics. The worst part is some of the students will leave the course believing that they have a sound grasp of at least some economics, which they clearly don't. They have been introduced to too many concepts and too superficially, so they have filled in the concepts and done a god-awful job of it. Anyway, not my problem, which seems to be the maxim that I have taken recourse to most frequently over the past two years in this job. Yes, setting such mental boundaries is important to keep my sanity, but surely its not sustainable. 

No comments: