Today marks 75 years since the War in Europe ended. Celebrations are muted because of the lockdown but it is a big occasion here in the UK. I, of course, have mixed feelings as I see it as the last time white people killed each other in large numbers. Since then, their firepower has been directed at people of colour--Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, various coups in Latin America. And more people of colour died in World War 2 than Europeans if you don't count Russia as part of Europe, which most Europeans wouldn't. Of course, history has been rewritten to make it seem as though the UK largely went it alone in the War and triumphed. World War 2 rhetoric and imagery was liberally used during the Brexit campaign, and even during the current pandemic.
I don't begrudge British people celebrating VE Day. Many of them possibly lost family members in the War and this is their way of honouring them. But, it is not a celebration that I would participate in.
I don't begrudge British people celebrating VE Day. Many of them possibly lost family members in the War and this is their way of honouring them. But, it is not a celebration that I would participate in.
No comments:
Post a Comment