I came across this quote by a rabbi in a speech by the German President on VE day. The speech was exemplary, but this post is about the quote, which resonated with my mental state for the past few weeks. Every day, on multiple occasions I am moved to tears by the news, which is an unending stream of tragedy and devastation. But, wrenching grief is not all I feel. I also feel empathy, kindness, generosity, admiration, solidarity, and most importantly, love. I feel more one with the world and its people than I have ever felt. It is as though I am realizing how big my heart because it breaks everyday. I don't mean to be frivolous--no one I know has been affected by Covid (touchwood) and if that happens, I probably won't be ruminating on the nature of pain and misery during a worldwide disaster. I would instead by be riven with anxiety, spending sleepless nights wracked with worry. But, equally, I don't want to downplay what I, and countless others, I am sure, are feeling. On that note, I remember a haiku I wrote a few years back: 'When she broke my heart, I was relieved to know I had a heart, an almost love is also love'.
Sunday, May 10, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment