Sunday, May 24, 2020

First-World Gratitude

I was going to write a post on how most of my current problems are first-world problems. But, at the last moment, I decided to drop the negative framing and turn it into a post about gratitude. Telling someone or yourself that their or your problems are trivial seldom helps, and is a form of mild gaslighting. Indeed, the line between being dismissive of someone's troubles and being reassuring is a thin one. The heart feels what it feels, and doesn't bend to logic or reason or even perspective very easily. Instead, I want to try to focus on what I am grateful for. To put it very succinctly, I am grateful for my mental and  physical wealth, and that of my near and dear ones, and an absence of food//money troubles. I wouldn't trade the things I am grateful for the resolution of my current troubles--that is a no-brainer. Yes, its not easy to focus on the positives when you are feeling low, but one can always try. 

No comments: