Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Getting Ready For Normal-er Life

Life is not going to go back to normal this year or even next year but we are not going to be forever in lockdown. Chances are we will oscillate on a spectrum spanning full lockdown and normal life till the end of the year. But, for someone like me, who has coped with lockdown pretty well so far, its important to not get too comfortable with being locked down. This is not a normal state of affairs. Some people have coped better with this abnormal state, true. But that doesn't mean they are abnormal or won't be able to cope when things return to normal. It is possible, indeed advisable, to take the lessons you have learnt about yourself and the world during the lockdown into normal-er life. What are the lessons I have learnt? Ooh, this will take some thinking, but from the top of my head--that I am more flexible and adaptable than I thought I was. That I have a rich inner life that I can immerse myself in when I become too disaffected with the outer world. That I have a big heart and a lot of love to give.
It is natural to feel anxious about a change of circumstance, especially when they can change so frequently and dramatically. But, all change is not for the worse and you are not alone. There is no shame in taking comfort from the fact--that its not just your world that is in a tailspin, the whole world is. You are doing the best in a shitty situation, as are most people, and that is all you can do. 

No comments: