There is no logic to what is deemed as socially acceptable and what must be hidden from plain sight. For instance, stalls on Indian thoroughfares which sell underwear, which is displayed in all its glory. Men and women who have all appearances of being conservative and god-fearing feel no shame in examining and purchasing underwear on the street. Like in most things in life, women are more daring. Most of the shopkeepers are men but women buy from them without any apparent qualms. Also, I have seen women buying men's underwear at such stalls but never the other way around.
This evening, I went shopping for a friend who had asked for some traditionally styled handbags from India. In the beginning, I was feeling a little awkward about shopping for women's accessories. but the awkwardness disappeared once I got into the mission. I ended up visiting four shops before returning to the one I liked the most. One good thing about Bombay shopkeepers is that they are so foccussed on the job at hand that they don't let trivialities like why is a man shopping for ladies' handbags get in the way of business.
This evening, I went shopping for a friend who had asked for some traditionally styled handbags from India. In the beginning, I was feeling a little awkward about shopping for women's accessories. but the awkwardness disappeared once I got into the mission. I ended up visiting four shops before returning to the one I liked the most. One good thing about Bombay shopkeepers is that they are so foccussed on the job at hand that they don't let trivialities like why is a man shopping for ladies' handbags get in the way of business.
No comments:
Post a Comment