I am keeping a list of bodily things that need looking to before I return to Bristol and it keeps getting longer. Teeth, eyes, STD tests, Vitamin D tests, Vitamin B tests and now I am wondering if I should see a doctor for the nagging pain in my chest. I feel like I have broken my body down into a bunch of components which all need to be analyzed for defects individually. A very mechanistic view of the human body, which leaves no space for the head and the heart. No judgement there, but my mind goes back to two-and-a-half years ago when the troubles in my head had started to manifest as disquieting physical symptoms. I was thoroughly unnerved by the physical symptoms, yet I knew at the back of my mind that mental health problems were at the root of my physical troubles. At the time, a friend gifted me a self-improvement book that was an enormous influence on me at that time. The book's main message was that problems of the body could be healed by addressing mental issues, which required forgiveness and oodles of self-love. I don't believe so strongly in that message any more, but there is some truth to it. Just like most influential concepts have some truth/use but cannot capture the whole truth. There is a mechanistic view of the human body which sees it as a machine and there is the idealistic view of the human body, which focuses on perception and emotional states. Our health is nothing but our perception of it, and our perceptions are heavily influenced by mental and emotional factors. The key is to find which position on the mechanistic-idealistic scale works for us at a particular point in time. The same thing may not work for someone else and it may not work for us at another point in time. And, it is important not to swing too heavily towards one end of the spectrum.
Sunday, March 3, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment