Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Change of Season

Its become noticeably warmer over the past few days. I knew I would catch the first few weeks of the Indian summer on this trip, but nothing can prepare one for the severity of it. A few days ago, a friend had quipped that summer was late this year. He spoke to soon, because it became noticeably hot the next day. In England, the onset of winter is heralded by the end of daylight savings time on the last Sunday of October.
I have learnt that it is best not to fight the change of seasons, but to adapt to it. In England, that means reducing my level of exercise activity as energy levels are noticeably lower in winter, even for a fitness freak like me. In the Indian summer, it also means reducing physical exertion as well as food intake. My appetite has taken a hit over the past few days, as hot weather make the digestive system sluggish.
In the age of climate change, summer throws up plenty of moral conundrums. Should I switch the AC on during the afternoon, or just at night? Should I get cooked in the local train or just take an Uber? The question is how much  inconvenience for the sake of slowing climate change is worth it.
In India, the conundrum effect is magnified by economic equality. A majority of Indians lack uninterrupted power supply, let alone airconditioning. Using AC is not only bad for the environment but also an implicit assertion of privilege, it could be argued.
But being too sanctimonious about these things can drive you crazy. 

No comments: