Yesterday, I did my fifth research interview, and I am all but ready to throw in the towel.The research interviews that I am doing are semi-structured, which we means that the agenda is loose and I feel like I am throwing a net in the open sea with the hope of snagging a fish. That strategy is not going well--I am not good at fishing. A number of my interviews have ended with the interviewees telling me that what I was seeking was available on the organization's website. A kind way of telling me that I had wasted my and their time. It should be said that I don't enjoy doing interviews, especially semi-structured ones (even the thought of unstructured interviews fills me with horror). I would do reasonably well in a structured interview with to-the-point questions and swift counter-questions. But, exploratory interviews are not my cup of tea.
The younger me would have dismissed these feelings as a mental block. I might even have done affirmations trying to convince myself that I am great at interviews. The older me can't be bothered, and I would rather expend energy trying to find a way around doing interviews.
I often wonder what pushed me to do interviews in the first place. It just felt like I needed to do them as I wasn't doing any statistical analysis, which seems to be the only respectable way of working with secondary data. But, interviewing is not my strength and I am still not clear about what I hope to achieve through them. Especially if I am interviewing people who have published work--if I want to know their views, shouldn't I just refer to their work?
The younger me would have dismissed these feelings as a mental block. I might even have done affirmations trying to convince myself that I am great at interviews. The older me can't be bothered, and I would rather expend energy trying to find a way around doing interviews.
I often wonder what pushed me to do interviews in the first place. It just felt like I needed to do them as I wasn't doing any statistical analysis, which seems to be the only respectable way of working with secondary data. But, interviewing is not my strength and I am still not clear about what I hope to achieve through them. Especially if I am interviewing people who have published work--if I want to know their views, shouldn't I just refer to their work?
No comments:
Post a Comment