I am trying to get better at listening. I believe we often place ourselves in uncomfortable and unwanted situations because we act against our better instincts. In the case of a fitness freak like me, that means pushing my body when I should be going easy on it. Thankfully, I haven't faced a serious injury as a result of this tendency yet. But, I have often wondered what's the point of exercising if one feels lousy afterwards. I don't finish every exercise session with my head swimming with endorphins, but sometimes after an intense session, I feel feverish and pop a paracetemol pill. Push yourself beyond the edge and then pop pills to ward of sickness. Not a very healthy way to live.
Knowing when to push yourself, knowing when to ease off and being kind to yourself irrespective: that is one of the secrets to mental and physical health. Which is why its not easy. It requires a lot of practice and trail-and-error--we often realizes our limits only after we have hit them hard and been floored by the impact. It also requires us to release ourselves from the weight of purown and of others' expectations. And, we doesn't always have that option if there are other people depending on us.
All we can do is try. Practice listening and have faith in ourselves that our mind, body and spirit will tell us when a particular situation is not serving us and its time to leave, if that is the option. That we will change a situation when we are ready to change it and there is little point in chiding ourselves afterwards for changing it too early or too late.
Knowing when to push yourself, knowing when to ease off and being kind to yourself irrespective: that is one of the secrets to mental and physical health. Which is why its not easy. It requires a lot of practice and trail-and-error--we often realizes our limits only after we have hit them hard and been floored by the impact. It also requires us to release ourselves from the weight of purown and of others' expectations. And, we doesn't always have that option if there are other people depending on us.
All we can do is try. Practice listening and have faith in ourselves that our mind, body and spirit will tell us when a particular situation is not serving us and its time to leave, if that is the option. That we will change a situation when we are ready to change it and there is little point in chiding ourselves afterwards for changing it too early or too late.
No comments:
Post a Comment