As the Windrush scandal reached its apogee today, with the Home Secretary, I learned that the Guardian journalist who broke the story is married to Boris Johnson's brother, who is himself a Tory minister. I was aghast. My first reaction was is the British media so incestuous that two people ostensibly on different sides of the political divide can seamlessly couple together? Is having a middle-class Oxbridge background such a strong glue that it can keep people with opposing political opinions together? Or am I being judgemental? Is love, not class, the superglue? Is it a mistake to conflate political opinions with morals? I don't think so. You cannot help who you fall in love with but you have a reasonably good idea of whom you definitely won't fall in love with. We are whom we love. Some of my close friends have political views that make me cringe, but those that do are not overtly political and we seldom discuss politics. I accept that not all close friendships are built on ideological common ground. But, I would like to imagine that romantic love is, at least for politically conscious folk like a journalist and a politician. I would never go out with a Tory, Republican or a bhakt.
Monday, April 30, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment