Last week, I watched a Netflix show Dating Around in which one singleton goes on dates with five others and picks one for a second date. As with every dating show, casting is key, and the producers of this show have done a splendid job. They have showed that you can have a fun and interesting dating show without people being mean or acting downright bonkers. The chemistry between some of the participants is palpable and it is also fun to guess who the protagonist will pick for the second date. But, it didn't escaped my attention that the men of colour tended to be noticeably more attractive than the white men. And, all the oddballs are white men. I have written before about how white men get a longer leash to be quirky and alternative without being dismissed as undesirable (no ugly hippies of colour). The white women on the show were mostly think and attractive, as expected.
I imagine being a casting director on such a show is a sociological minefield. Class, colour, sexual orientation, attractiveness, body type--there are so many things to consider even before you look at the participants' personalities.
No comments:
Post a Comment