Thursday, August 30, 2018

No Aww

How did the interjection "Aww" originate? According to Urban Dictionary--the most authoritative source I could find--it is an expression used to describe "what girls think are cute, sweet, sad, good or bad". I use it as a default response whenever a friend says something sweet, like she misses me (and only female friends say stuff like that to me). In such a context, it is a socially acceptable way for men to express affection, because it is unclear whether the affection is genuine or faux. God forbid a man express affection for someone who is not a romantic partner or family member! We need to normalize showing platonic affection and maybe one day heterosexual men won't feel ridiculous to say that they miss each other or even love each other.
I have decided to stop using "Aww" except in the faux sense--when a friend says something mean to me. Fighting the patriarchy entails examining one's own habits and attitudes, so this is my nano-contribution to the cause.

No comments: