Friday, August 10, 2018

Conferencing

I sat through seven-and-a-half hours of presentations today, the prospect of which was more exhausting than the process itself. The presentations were on Finance and ______ (everything under the sun that you can imagine, which made it interesting). We had to choose between two sets of parallel presentations and I didn't attend the more whacky ones. Some of the presentations were veering towards nonsense, but that's is an occupational risk with interdisciplinary research, and it was good to be in a space that encouraged us to be bold. And the audience was very engaged and supportive.
Afterwards we repaired to a nearby bar for drinks and dinner, which I found a little tedious. Academics, even whacky ones, are more social than the stereotype and, like yesterday, I was the first to leave. The  only upside of not having a social circle is one doesn't often find oneself in social situations where it is difficult to leave. I remember many an evening in Holland when my enthusiasm for the festivities had waned long before the evening ended. I enjoy intimate conversations with small groups of friends and have seldom been at a  party where I have enjoyed myself throughout. Being a master of your own time certainly has its advantages, especially if you are an introvert. 

No comments: