Sunday, January 12, 2020

The Company of Women

On Friday, one of my colleagues remarked that I enjoy the company of women, and although that is unquestionably true, it still felt weird to hear. I remember a couple of years ago my grandmother saying that my dad has the soul of a woman. My uncle, who is no male chauvinist, but a bit of a bloke laughed and my grandmother hastened to clarify that she meant it as a compliment. My dad is one of the gentlest and most emotionally resilient people I know. My dad's response was to ask what was wrong with him having a soul of a woman. No one had a response to that.
Maybe one day I will have the confidence to respond like he did. I'm aware that a part of the reason his gentle ways are appreciated is because he has been professionally successful. Similarly gentle but less successful men might be dismissed as weak and effete. But, this is not a post about how exceptional my Dad is. This post is about my slight unease with feeling so easy in the company of women. Today, I went for a book club meeting after months and really enjoyed myself. It was me and three other women but I didn't feel out of place at all.

No comments: