Today, I asked my yoga teacher what I could do about the stiffness in the ligaments behind my knees. She said it was understandable as I had stiff harmstrings, and stiff hips. But, she added that my flexibility had improved a lot since I started attending her class.
I have been doing yoga for two and a half years and attending her weekly class for two. To be sure, I don't do yoga to make my body more flexible, I do it because it helps me relax. But, it would be good to have increased flexibility as a side effect, and for the length of time I have been doing yoga, I don't have much to show on that front. I had starting doing some exercises to stretch the ligaments behind my knees, but today my yoga teacher said those ligaments are not meant to be stretched. They are meant to stabilize the joints. Oops! My efforts to engineer more flexibility in specific joints need to stop, I suppose.
I have been doing yoga for two and a half years and attending her weekly class for two. To be sure, I don't do yoga to make my body more flexible, I do it because it helps me relax. But, it would be good to have increased flexibility as a side effect, and for the length of time I have been doing yoga, I don't have much to show on that front. I had starting doing some exercises to stretch the ligaments behind my knees, but today my yoga teacher said those ligaments are not meant to be stretched. They are meant to stabilize the joints. Oops! My efforts to engineer more flexibility in specific joints need to stop, I suppose.
No comments:
Post a Comment