This year wasn't a Watershed Year, and neither is next year likely to be, unless 'that' happens. And, 'that' doesn't refer to anything to do with my career or any unforeseen event. And, that is all I am going to say about that.
But, just because it wasn't a Watershed Year, doesn't mean it wasn't an eventful year. As I look back on it, I feel abundantly blessed. Sure, there were minor hiccups and disappointments, as there are always, but it was a definitely a good year for me personally, even though the fires of fascism reached new heights. I spent almost of the year in India for my PhD research. At the beginning of the first trip, I had no idea what I was looking for. But, I muddled around, fiddled in the dark, and found my way. The second trip was longer than I needed, but I had no way of knowing that. All in all, the trips were a success and my PhD has a clear direction, even if there is still a long way to go. Along the way, I realised that I want to stay on in England after I finish and I told my parents. The signs were all there because they didn't seem in the least bit surprised.
Back in Bristol, I moved into a new house, leaving behind a landlord who had rescued me in my hour of need three years ago but had grown increasingly hostile over this year. But, I bear him no grudge and neither do I rue the loss of a friendship born out of fate putting us together. People change, circumstances change, and it is best to move on with as little bitterness in one's heart as possible. I also made another close friend, who is now my best friend in Bristol. On the romance front, there wasn't much to report. But, that doesn't mean there were no takeaways. I realised that I am not going to settle or be in a relationship with someone who doesn't make my head spin. That might mean I will be single for a long time, if not forever, and I am okay with that. The world is changing, and social norms of what constitutes a "settled" existence are bound to change too.
Time to head for my New Year celebration now. Next year is going to be a big one, but I can write about it tomorrow, and for the rest of the year.
No comments:
Post a Comment