I just read an article about mental toughness of endurance athletes. It defined toughness as "experiencing something that is subjectively distressing, and then leaning in, paying attention, and creating space to take a thoughtful action that aligns with your core beliefs. I quite agree with this definition. Toughness is not about charging through a tough situation no matter what the cost to your (or someone else's) body or mind. Sometimes toughness entails retreating to regroup or even abandoning the fight completely. As a fitness fanatic, it is the easiest thing in the world to push myself through a workout even when my body is protesting, and risking injury or sickness.
As someone who is facing a situation in my personal life where I am torn between persisting and retreating, I could use some mental toughness. My Dad is the toughest person I know and also one of the gentlest human beings you could encounter. I have never seen him fazed by a situation and his threshold for physical pain is the stuff of legends. He is immensely fortunate that he was born this way. The rest of us have to learn through facing the hard knocks of life, practicing techniques that help us cope with stress and reflecting.
As someone who is facing a situation in my personal life where I am torn between persisting and retreating, I could use some mental toughness. My Dad is the toughest person I know and also one of the gentlest human beings you could encounter. I have never seen him fazed by a situation and his threshold for physical pain is the stuff of legends. He is immensely fortunate that he was born this way. The rest of us have to learn through facing the hard knocks of life, practicing techniques that help us cope with stress and reflecting.
No comments:
Post a Comment