Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Movies and Wokeness

It is difficult to watch any Bollywood movie these days, even the ones I enjoyed when I was younger. For one, my taste in movies has become more selective. And secondly, most mainstream Bollywood actors are cads in real life and many are right-wing cads. Of course, I could never watch a movie by any actor who is a cheerleader for the current fascist government in India. But, even those who are not cheerleaders have maintained a complicit silence. Okay, maybe you don't want to speak against the government and get into all kinds of trouble, but surely you can speak up for survivors of sexual assault in your own industry? I have no illusions that I am taking stand by not watching the movies of actors without execrable opinions. I don't watch their movies because the mere sight of them annoys me, and there are enough things in the world that do that as it is.
Since a progressive person has plenty to be mad about these days, where do I draw the line of disengagement? At people who explicitly support fascism and who should know better given their profession, such as journalism or academic, etc. 

No comments: