Friday, September 13, 2019

Angry Youngish Man

I feel like I am turning into a grumpy uncle. At dinner today, my nephew was reading the ridiculously lame message on the cover of a mineral water bottle, and that was my cue to launch into a tirade about the use of plastic. My nephews looked a little puzzled.
My anger goes up a few notches when I am around people who (I think) are apolitical or on the wrong (right) side of the political spectrum. Back in Bristol, I would feel it rise when I was with a particular colleague. Someone with a personality like mine doesn't do outbursts. Instead, my anger manifests itself as mean humour. I am careful enough to make my intentions seem ambigous but if I am being honest with myself, it comes from a place of anger. Anger often stems from frustration at one's own sense of helplessness, I realize. Its not like I am doing anything for the earth or for society so what expectations am I allowed to have of others? And, even if I was doing something, would I have to the right to have expectations of others?
Maybe that's the wrong way of looking at it. From a purely pragmatic point of view, I can have as high expectations as I like if I don't mind being perpetually disappointed. But, that is not very healthy. So, projecting your own expectations on others and coming across as a sanctimonious prick is not conducive to one's own mental well-being.  
Yes, the world is one fire, and yes, anger, helplessness and frustration are understandable reactions. But, one's first reactions need not be permanent reactions. It is possible to observe own's reactions and take a conscious step back. And the key to mental well-being is knowing when to step forward and when to step back.

No comments: