Yesterday, I was having an intense discussion with a friend about self-realization and social institutions that come in the way of it like marriage and the glorification of child-bearing. I said these are distractions that take up mental and physical energy, leaving little time or inclination to reflect on one's life. Social norms are a conveyor belt which if you manage to stay on makes life much easier. No one follows social norms to the T and we all bend them to an extent, but there is a difference between bending the rules while pretending to obey them and openly defiance. I am not glorifying the rebellious life and neither do I judge people who are on the conveyor built. Neither am I saying those who have choosen to step off are automatically more enlightened and kind than those who are. All I say is one must aim to be comfortable with oneself whether one chooses to be on or off the conveyor built. I acknowledge that is not always a free choice, and it is a privilege to even have that choice. But the least we can do is identify social norms as being just that--norms--and not the distillation of eternal truths about human nature such as the need for monogamous companionship and children to propagate the race.
Friday, September 27, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment