When I was a journalist I would sometimes interview someone who was clearly smart but wasn't being tested by my questions. Sometimes they were obviously bored, and at other times they were too polite to show it. Sometimes these lacked luster because I was unprepared, and at other times because I found their personalities cold. Yesterday, it was a bit of both. It didn't help that it was my first interview after a long gap, and I wish it had been with a less important person. Going back over the recording of interview tapes is also not a pleasant experience. You register all the questions you didn't ask, the points where you could have sought clarification and the points where you interrupted the interviewer when they were saying something interesting just to show that you were keeping up with them (winces). But going back over yesterday's interview, I realized it wasn't as bad as I had previously thought. Yes, the interviewees manner wasn't warm, but I have no reason to believe he bore me a grudge and he did say some useful things.
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment