I was going through some old papers in my desk today, and I stumbled upon my aptitude results from 16 years ago. I had taken the test after high school as I was confused about what to do next. The counselors' recommendation was I should take up engineering because I had scored high on mechanical comprehension and numerical ability even though my interest inventory said Arts. I am guessing the counselor was swayed by what she thought my parents wanted to here. Maybe she thought her job was to be the neutral authority figure to rubber-stamp parents' chosen vocation for their kid. And, it may have been a fair assumption on her part that an engineering graduate and a Physics PhD might want their son to take up a career in engineering.
I don't feel anger towards the counselor, only disdain for the education system in this country. Very few kids at 17 know what they want to do with their lives. The system should allow them to change course with much ado, not feel like abject failures. But, I am just relieved that I don't have to go through the agonizing experience of higher education in India again.
And as far as my meandering career trajectory is concerned, I have zero regrets. Every loop taught me something--about the specific field, about the wider world or about myself. But, if I could go back to when I was 17, I would definitely not choose engineering school again.
I don't feel anger towards the counselor, only disdain for the education system in this country. Very few kids at 17 know what they want to do with their lives. The system should allow them to change course with much ado, not feel like abject failures. But, I am just relieved that I don't have to go through the agonizing experience of higher education in India again.
And as far as my meandering career trajectory is concerned, I have zero regrets. Every loop taught me something--about the specific field, about the wider world or about myself. But, if I could go back to when I was 17, I would definitely not choose engineering school again.
No comments:
Post a Comment