Friday, February 8, 2019

End of the Week

Its not often that I feel glad the week has ended but today is one of those rare occasions. It wasn't a bad week, it was just not a very productive one. What's worse is I can't even say I didn't achieve everything I had set out to because I didn't have a clear-cut plan. I am at that stage of my research where I am trying to figure out what my research is really about. Since I am more than halfway through the duration of my PhD that might sound alarming. But the nature of my research is such that one seeks the research questions and answers simultaneously.
This week was spent in doggedly feeling around in the dark for the light switch that would illuminate the path to the next stage of my research. So much of this project is showing up even if you are not feeling particularly inspired. Having faith that just sticking with the project will open doors or at least windows. Just like yoga or blogging, where not every session has the desired effect. Even when you feel like you are not making progress because progress is not linear and it is cumulative. This, of course, doesn't mean sticking to your research strategy, no matter what. Its not about having faith in one's research approach, because one should not be wedded to a particular  idea or approach. Faith and openness go had in hand. Inner faith makes you more open to the external world. Faith in what, you may ask? In yourself, in the trajectory of your life, in the calling you have chose, in your destiny. Who says scientists lack faith?

No comments: