Friday, February 1, 2019

Cough For Life

It is Day 7 of my sore throat and I feel no better or worse than on Day 1. My Mom has had a cough on and off for a few months now and my usually indomitable Dad has also fallen victim to it. When it was coming on I knew it would stay for longer than I wanted it to but not as long as I thought it would. I am not trying to be cute with the wordplay--a cold is one of those maladies which feels like it will stay with you for life. It is usually mild enough to keep your faculties unimpaired enough to feel all the misery it has to offer and to reflect on it. It is also one of those ailments that will normally not shorten your life, which perversely makes it seem worse as one would have to bear it for longer.
I have not been seriously sick in the past two-and-a-half years (knock on wood) and just twice in my entire life time (thanks, dengue fever). One of the main reasons I dislike being indisposed is I can't exercise or at least not enough to get the endorphins swimming. But, I would prefer to be indisposed with a cold than with an injury any day because coming out of an injury, one is super-nervous about doing any exercises that might cause repeat injuries.

No comments: