I have been stiff in the joints for as long as I can remember. I can't even remember the last time I could touch my toes without bending my knees. I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't even as a baby. So, when I took up yoga about 8 months ago, the prospect of improving my flexibility was a big motivation.
There hasn't been a dramatic improvement in my flexibility but I've stuck to yoga because I enjoy it's calming effect. During my yoga class last week, my instructor told me to modify a pose because I "had super-long limbs". And it suddenly struck me that I might never become supple because maybe my body is not built that way. The simple reason why I can't touch my toes without bending my knees is probably because my legs are much too long. When one takes up yoga, it is natural to try hard to strike the right pose. Being able to do so, gives one a sense of achievement, which is natural given our performance-goals-oriented fitness culture. But, over time, you learn to be easier on yourself. To judge yoga not by flexibility goals, but how it makes your body and your mind feel. I am still far from flexible but I don't plan on stopping yoga any time soon.
I think the same holds for weight-loss. In my rookie opinion, the biggest factor contributing to slimness is genetics. Some people will never achieve a slim figure no matter how much they diet or exercise because their body structures and physiologies are different. This is not an argument against exercise and a wholesome diet (both of which I try to do) but an argument for acceptance of different body types. Slim people blessed by genes shouldn't feel morally superior to overweight or obese people.
No comments:
Post a Comment