Till yesterday, I was reassuring people spooked by
Trump's crackdown on Palestine activists. I told a friend that Mahmoud Khalil
was targeted for his high-profile activism, for being Palestinian and because
he is at Columbia. You are not going to get detained for attending a rally at
UMass. But, yesterday, I joined the ranks of the spooked. An Indian PhD student
at Columbia who was not even an activist, just a sympathizer, had her visa
revoked and fled to Canada to avoid the ICE dragnet. Those of us who imagined ourselves
quite low in the list of potential targets are scared because that list has now
been scrambled, which was probably the intention of the powers-that-be at ICE. Although
I realise my odds of being targeted are still quite low, I can’t take any
chances, and I have already taken some evasive action. Now is the time to lie
low and let the fascists juggernaut barrel on towards more powerful people and
wait for the inevitable backlash. Because there doesn’t seem to be any method
to this madness, and capitalism has little tolerance for prolonged madness.
Till yesterday, I admit I looked at people who had stayed silent
on Palestine with judgemental eyes. But, now they have been proven right. Or
rather, their collective silence has allowed the situation to deteriorate to
such an extent that silence now seems the most judicious course of action. And,
I will not tolerate any “told you so”s from them. That said, I must constantly
guard against feeling sanctimonious because of the little activism I have done
for Palestine. I have been a scab before, and I can’t guarantee that I will never
scab again (although, I hope I won’t ever be in such a desperate situation). My
motto is do whatever makes you sleep better at night.
And, there is plenty that one can do without taking on a
very visible role in activism.
No comments:
Post a Comment