Friday, October 13, 2023

Do Whatever Makes You Sleep Better At Night

This week, I struggled to focus on work because of the news coming out of Israel and Gaza. So, deciding to travel to London to attend a pro-Palestine protest was a no-brainer for me. After the Hamas' horrifying strike on Saturday, no one with any familiarity with the current Israeli government would have had any doubt that they would respond mercilessly and disproportionately. What caught many of us by surprise was the vigorous and unconditional support they got from Western governments and the media. It felt like if white or white-adjacent lives were at stake, there was no limit on the number of innocent brown or black lives that could be sacrificed. Even if the sacrifice has no bearing on the outcome for the hostages, and is purely ritualistic. 
I spread the message of the protest, but got a less-than-enthusiastic response.  I am in no position to judge anyone, since I haven't participated in any of the lecturers' union strikes. One of my mottos is do whatever makes you feel better at night, and attending this protest will definitely help me sleep better. 
France and Germany have already outlawed pro-Palestine protest (Liberte, Equalite and Fraternite is for white people only) and I am sure the UK government is considering doing the same. A news report said might expel migrants who express support for Hamas and outlaw the display of the Palestinian flag. When I heard this it strengthened my resolve to join the protest. The only way to prevent the space for dissent from shrinking is to put more bodies in it. I don't enjoy the performative element of protesting. When the stakes are higher, when you are putting yourself at risk by protesting, it feels much more meaningful. And, any political action, whether it is to prevent climate action or stopping genocide, has to be fought on the streets, and has to be prepared to face state violence. As Marx said, "Philosophers have hitherto only interpreted the world in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."

No comments: