Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Speed-Friending

 I attended at staff speed-friending event at uni yesterday. Before the event, I was not feeling very social, what with the state of the world and all. But, I'm glad I went, if nothing else to take my mind off Gaza. The idea was we had four minutes to speak to a person before moving to the next one. It was as exhausting as it sounds. Four minutes is not enough time to scope out if there is platonic potential.  Unless you have a niche passion that the other person shares, and you both revel in the discovery, you spend a few minutes just covering the bases. What do you do at uni, how long have you been in Bristol, etc. hen you are speaking to a stranger, all talk is small talk as you both gauge each other's boundaries and preferences. What sort of jokes will/won't land with this person? Can I mention my political leanings. With some people you instantly discover a connection, but with most friendships it is a slow burn. I wouldn't be friends with most of my friends if we just had  four minutes to decide. I often look back and am amazed by the gulf between my initial perceptions of some friends and how I see them now. 

With speed-friending the stakes are also lower, and one wouldn't bother pursuing someone unless you got along on like a house on fire in the four minutes you talked. But, I still do think speed dating could work, even if speed-friending is tedious. Four minutes is enough time to gauge attraction based on looks and personality. And, since dating is higher stakes, one is more willing to give people another chance, since "what if they are the one?". 




No comments: