It is coming up to the five-year- anniversary of the first
Covid Lockdown (in the UK) and it struck me a few days ago that the present
times feel like those first weeks of March 2020. Trump's fascist takeover is in
overdrive. Israel has resumed its genocide in Gaza Trump is gutting the
American state, the threat of deportation hangs over every non-citizen who has
participated in activism for Palestine or criticized Trump in any form or
manner. Just like then, no one knows how the next few weeks and months will pan
out. Just like then, I read horror stories in the press but doesn’t know anyone
who has been personally affected (yet). And, a sense of foreboding that things
will get worse before they get better as the fascist juggernaut has some way to
go before it burns out or burns the world. So, I went back to my posts from
that period out of curiosity. I was surprised to be reminded that my mental and
physical state were poor. In the past few weeks, I haven’t been sleeping great,
and I feel myself filling up with tears, but, unlike that past fateful March, my
anxiety hasn’t kicked into high gear. My chief fear at that time was how I would
cope with losing access to the PhD room at uni, which was my safe haven away from
crazy housemates. As it turned out, I coped just fine, and was able to return to
the PhD office after a few months. I wouldn’t catch Covid until two years
thence, but the pandemic did cause tumult in my life, as it did with most
others. Tumult that we didn’t and couldn’t have imagined during those first few
weeks of that March. We, and our world, carry those scars with us. But if there
is one lesson we can draw (and if one can rue or reminisce the past, one can
occasionally learn from it) is that we like our all creatures great and small,
are endlessly adaptable. Someone said to “Adapt or perish is nature’s inexorable
imperative”. There is, of course, a difference between adaptation and
submission. One should not submit to fascism, of all things, and resist as much
as possible. As I write this post, I am reminded of a passage from Ship Fever,
a short story by one of my favourite authors, Andrea Barrett. The context is the
Irish potato famine and the ensuing typhus epidemic and, I think it is worth
quoting at some length. “That was what she’d learned from her grandmother,
during the days they’d cared for the sick together. You ought not to lie down
and let your fate roll over you, her grandmother taught her; neither ought you
stand unbending, as her father had, and wait for fate to lop off your head.
There was a bending, weaving, cunning way, in which you appeared to give in but
rolled aside just slightly, evading the blow at the last minute. The way of eating
whenever there was food to eat, sleeping whenever a stray minute came; never angering
anyone stronger nor harming anyone weaker. “Make your mind like a pond,” her
grandmother had said, when she found Nora weeping at night. “Push away longing
and fury, and make your mind still, like water.””
Saturday, March 22, 2025
It Feels Like The First Few Weeks of Covid Again
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment