I don’t cry easily, but this
morning I had rivulets of tears on my face while watching a documentary at a
labor conference. I choose to watch the movie over attending other parallel
sessions because the theme seemed to resonate with the present—ICW abducting
students and spirting them away to detention centres in the back of beyond. And,
I wasn’t disappointed. The movie was about a how prisoners in California
organized hunger strikes to protest against solitary confinement. The Security
Housing Units (SHUs) are, as one former inmate described it, jails within
jails. Some inmates spent decades in them on suspicion of being gang members.
In many cases, those suspicions were based on evidence as flimsy as having tattoos
or reading books by Black Panthers. I was moved to pieces y the courage and
fortitude of the inmates as well as their friends and family on the outside who
were agitating for their rights. Most of the campaigners on the outside were
women (as I have frequently pointed out, most a majority of protesters on Palestine
marches are women). If people can organize in the hell that is the US prison system,
anything is possible and it is important to be reminded of this fact in these
dark times. The cherry on the cake was a panel discussion featuring two former jail
survivors who had spent decades in prison. They spoke with a moral and intellectual
clarity that blew me away. The movie also reminded me of a blog post I had
written six years ago after reading a piece by a former black panther who had
spent decades in solitary confinement in conditions even more harrowing than
the ones described in the movie. The title of that post was “If you canbreathe, you can get through anything” and it had chimed with my focus on
breathwork as part of my yoga practice. This is also a good reminder to return
to my yoga practice, which I have neglected. I am trying to avoid sitting cross-legged
as I am nursing a sprained ankle, but my yoga practice just doesn’t feel the
same without that foundational pose.
Sunday, March 30, 2025
Hunger Strike
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment