Apologies in advance if this post comes across as too preachy. Ever since moving to the US, I have been disheartened by the sparse turnout for Palestine among students, faculty and the general public. Yes, the Zionists are powerful, oragnized and vindictive but only the pepole who have really stuck their neck out have faced career-altering consequences. No one is going to get you sacked for signing a petition or turning up at a Palestine protest (unless you work for a tech giant or on Wall Street). And, this is a numbers game too, the more people who turn up, the safer it is for everyone, because, if nothing else, targetting too many people for reprisals is a logistical nightmare. But, it is easy to sneer at people who are not doing as much (or as little) as you for a particular cause as you are. If you are frustrated by a lack of turnout, you should take actions to increase the turnout, even if that action involves sticking your neck out a bit. I am contemplating such a move. Its not a courageous move by any stretch of imagination, but one that could piss off some influential people. And one that many of my peers would not contemplate. I spoke to my parents today, and while I didn't tell them what I am planning to do, they were very supportive of me being more pro-active. If the past 16 months have taught us anything it is that if you are not prepared to stand up for what you believe you end up in a belly-crawl before you know it. And, the powerful can justify their inaction (they have too much to lose), the weak can justify their inaction (they cannot afford to lose what little they have), but at the end of the day one has to live according to one's values and answer to one's own conscience. As I said in my first ever public speech last year, acting contrary to one's conscience is bad for the soul and it is bad for sleep.
Monday, March 3, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment