There is nothing like a close shave or mini-crisis to remind oneself to focus on the big picture when one is too caught up in the weeds of day-to-day life. I spent an very anxious half-day today after failing to find my passport this afternoon. Since I am at home in Thane everyone at home got dragged into the search. I had a feeling that the passport was at home, but couldn't bank on that feeling since I am scheduled to return to the US late next week. I had to start preparing for the fact that I might need a new passport and US visa. We reported it lost to the local police and I also filled out an application form for a new passport and took an appointment for the following day. Ultimately, the passport was found by my younger nephew, bless his heart.
Losing a passport is hardly a crisis in the grand scheme of things, but it is enough of a headache to remind oneself that if one can deal with (mini)-crisis one shoould not fret about non-crises. It reminds me of a blog post I wrote 18 years ago about another close shave that shook me out of a melancholy phase in my life. These are a few lines from the blog post.
And suddenly I didn’t feel so bad any more. At least no one was dead. As long as there is life there is possibility. Things are never as bad as they are made out to be. As long as there is life you can always retire to fight another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment