Sunday, January 19, 2025

Long Flights and Podcasts

 There is an idnian podcaster who does "long-form podcasts", some of which stretch to 8-9 hours. I believe very few people exist who have enough itnersting stuff to say that its saying will take that long. But, on long flights, the usual standards do not apply. I spent most of my 31-hours journey back to the US listening to his podcasts. I don't find more than a handful of his guests, but even that is enough to keep me occupied because of how long the podcasts are. The topics are usually light enough to not require heavy concentration. As someone who is not a sound sleeper, the podcasts are a godsend as they lull me to sleep. When I wake up , chances are the same podcast is still on, and sometimes I rewind it, sometimes I don't. It also helps that I have started choosing a window seat. For years, I would chose an aisle seat so that I wouldn't have to make people move if I needed the toilet but that meant virtually no sleep since passerbys would rub against my broad shoulders. Window seats are great for sleeping, but it van be a tad convenient if you need the toilet and you have big sleepers next to you. On the long leg of the journey, the guy in the aisle seat was asleep most of the time, and when he was awake, the girl in the middle seat took her turn turn to sleep. I don't undersand why big sleeprs choose aisle seatsOn long flights there invariably comes a point when you feel that you have flown for hours, but haven't even reached halfway. Long podcasts help you pass over that bump.

----------------------

No airport blog from Mumbai this time as I had neither the time or energy for it. India trips are always heavy on the body, but essential for the soul. This time I had my share of health wobbles--two colds (was under mistaken assumption that a cold gives you immunity for a bit), insomnia, unsettled stomach but no full-blown upset. India trips are always heavy on the body. This particular trip gave me a lot of food for thought as well as impetus for action, but I am not ready to blog about it yet. 

No comments: