Thursday, January 23, 2025

Numbers Game

 Today I came across a tweet that said "Biggest mindshift I've ever had is when I realized everything is a numbers game. Getting discouraged after trying something a few times and it not working is the most crippling thing you can do to yourself". I don't think EVERYTHING is a numbers game, but a lot of things are. Rejections hurt less if you have other stuff in the pipeline to divert your mind from the current disappointment. This is true of stuff as myriad as rejected submissions to academic journals and being ghosted on dating apps. The other prospects demand your attention and also carry your hopes. Now, its not easy to add to your pipeline in both the above-mentioned examples. Writing academic articles is a long and laborious process. And, on dating apps, you have very little control on how many people match with you, especially if you are a man. But, even in cases where the pipeline is running dry, the knowledge that this particular rejection is hurting keenly because the pipeline is empty is itself a salve. Telling yourself that this hurts not only in and of itself but beacuse of the context can make you feel better and also push you to populate the pipeline if you can. 

No comments: