Today was (hopefully) my last day as a scab. There will be no further strikes in the current academic year, unless there are wildcat strikes after Easter. And, in the next academic year, I hopefully won't be in this department. I am one of the single handful of union members in the department, and all the other members are more senior to me. They are not striking, so I don't see how I can. I am sure there are people who would have acted differently to me in the same situation. But, I am not brave enough or angry enough to strike on my own. Every time there have been strikes over the past year and a half, I have felt terrible for scabbing. During the previous round of strikes, I had vowed to strike the next time. Sadly, I did not keep that promise. But, I am soon hoping to join a department where striking doesn't involve sticking my neck out to this extent. I was called a scab recently by an acquaintance, and the sting from her words is still with me. I am trying to turn my anger at her into motivation to do well in an upcoming job interview. I know I am not a firebrand. If and when the revolution comes, I will be in the mob, but I won't be int he vanguard.
Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment