Thursday, March 23, 2023
How to Punch Down and Punch Up at The Same Time
I tell my friends from other countries that India has so many overlapping layers of oppression that it is possible to punch down at the same time. Exhibit A: this evening I watched a stand-up routine on Youtube poking fun at Modi by mocking chowkidars. It takes guts to make fun of Modi, so respect to the comedian. But, punching down at chowkidars? Not cool. at the risk of sounding patronizing, I am sure the comedian did not realise he was punching down. Punching down is a huge element in Indian comedy. Making fun of disabled people, dark-skinned people, fat people, is par for the course. So, jokes aimed at lower castes/classes is not surprising. Thinking about these things makes me feel sanctimonious, and I don't enjoy feeling that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment