Monday, February 20, 2023

First Day At Gym

Technically, it was my first day at the gym, but I didn't do anything apart from take a photo of the broad which advertised personal trainers. I really don't like gyms, and for a long time I thought it was because I was a loner, and preferred working out by myself. But the true reasons are a mix of snobbery and envy. Snobbery because I have this idea of gym rats as being bone-headed, narcists with over-developed pecs.  For years, I swore by bodyweight exercises because it made me feel special and different from the crowd. Envy because I haven't looked or felt strong in a long time. The loner bit doesn't hold water. Gym is not a group activity and its perfectly possible to enter and leave a gym without speaking to anyone. A gym is simply a place where people share equipment which they wouldn't be able to afford or house on their own. It might take time for me to find the right gym and the right trainer, and I will keep having to remind myself of this fact. But, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. 

No comments: