Sunday, January 22, 2023

Being There For Others

 There are many reasons to be there for others; you love them and care for them being the topmost ones. But, I am discovering that being there for others also helps pull you out of the self-preoccupation that inevitably creeps when facing a prolonged illness or adversity. The self-preoccupation that led me to obsessively Google the symptoms for all nasty maladies that afflict the stomach. I did spend an inordinate amount of time doing that , and I can't promise I won't in the future, but that is a blog for another day. Today, its about how talking to others, being present for them, not just when they need you but also when they don't, can be quite rewarding even if the respite it provides is only temporary. The temporary respite can give you some much-needed breathing space and healing space. This is naturally not a call to drown yourself in other people's problems to run away from your own, although, in hindsight, it does sound like it. No, it means being present for those you care about, even if they don't have problems. 

No comments: