Yesterday, I read a screed about how men's inability to express their feelings to other men lead to women having to play the role of therapists to the men in their life. Most of the examples were of women playing therapist to their romantic partners. I don't disagree with the basic contention of the article. But, the thrust of the article was that men should feel comfortable expressing their feelings to other male friends instead of burdening the women in their life. While I have written before on benign masculinity--how even men who reject toxic masculinity have a hard time being emotionally open with other men, instead preferring the company of women. But, my problem with the article was that it completely ignored platonic relationships between men and women. Maybe the author sees such platonic relationships as also emotionally burdening women. But the fight against patriarchy must involve pushing the envelope on possible relationships between men and women. And not simply telling men to deal with their own shit among themselves.
Tuesday, May 7, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment