Saturday, May 11, 2019

CLass workshop

I attended a workshop to train us in communicating progressive ideas better to the public. It was primarily aimed at campaigners, and while I have never knocked on doors in my life, the chance of attending a left-wing event  in Bristol lead by a woman of colour and with a fair number of presenters of colour, was too good to miss. I couldn't say I had a great time. One of the sessions was on austerity and as an economist, one has to watch people mangle economic concepts. And the one time I made a point, it was treated with undisguised skepticism by a man who I am pretty sure didn't  know anything about economics. If I had told him I am a PhD student in economics, maybe he would have believed me. Maybe it was stupid of me to raise technical points in a debate about marketing tactics. I don't know what I really expected from the event but I had company, so I went.
Henceforth, I am not going to attend discussions on economics with laypeople unless I am the one presenting or invited as an expert. This might sound downright snobbish, but sitting in on lay people discussing economics is a profoundly frustrating experience. Stepping in and correcting people makes one feel like a show-off or know-all. 
I am two years into my PhD and do believe there are topics on which I can speak with reasonable authority.

No comments: